06 Mar The Virtual Medicines Round
This online module assesses a person’s competence at checking the five rights of medicines administration. It satisfies requirements from the CQC and NICE for an annual update of the knowledge skills and competencies needed to administer medication. The learner is presented with a number of medicines and their corresponding medicines administration record (MAR) entries. The learner must state whether they would administer the medicine or if not, what is wrong with it.
Registered nurses and care support workers (both new and those requiring a refresher)
Online: Approx 1-2 hours
- NICE – Management of Medicines in Care Homes, March 2014
- NICE – Management of Medicines in Community Settings, March 2017
- Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014: Regulation 12
Course Content (Click to expand)
ONLINE COMPETENCY ASSESSMENT
The Virtual Medicines Round tests a learner’s competence to select the correct medicine.
We present them with a number of different medicines and the corresponding medicines chart.
The systems asks them if they would administer this item?
Some of the medicines are correct to administer, some are not.
The medicines that are not have mistakes such as:
- The wrong client name, wrong strength, wrong form
- The wrong drug, the wrong directions
- Medicines that aren’t due yet
- Medicines that have gone past their once opened or manufacturer’s expiry date
- Medicines where the client has already finished the course